Many real estate investors with out of state investment property flame out quickly when they buy under market value properties. That’s because they make huge mistakes that either mean they make no money or they lose money.
The things that you should not do when you buy below market value property for real estate cash flow include:
- Not doing your research. You don’t usually buy a car without doing a lot of research, right? The due diligence you do when you buy an under market value house should be even more rigorous. When I buy the best San Antonio investment property, I do my research about the neighborhood down to the street level. I also do a thorough inspection of the property before I make an offer. This is one reason you might consider becoming a real estate agent, as I am. That way you can search for your own deals in the MLS and view the houses yourself.
- Doing it all yourself. I’ve been doing real estate investing in below market value properties for 15 years, but I don’t try to do everything myself. I have on my team a good inspector, full construction crew, real estate attorney, CPA, insurance professional and closer. I have seen many investors buy a house on their own and they end up with losing their investment.
- Paying too much. This of course will turn your under market value property investment into a real mess. Finding a good house to invest in takes time, so it is tempting to make a high offer that will be accepted quickly. Overbidding means that you will have too much debt, if you are buying with financing. This creates big problems when repairs and vacancies crop up.
- Spending too much on rehab. A classic mistake of the under market value property investor is to spend too much on fixing the property. I have been investing in San Antonio distressed houses for 15 years, and I know how much rehab to do on a house to resell it. If it’s in say 78207, I may do 15-20k in rehab, but I know I probably can skip the granite in the kitchen. If I am rehabbing in a higher end area such as 78201, I will do the granite and fancy back splash in the kitchen. Also, I have a construction company that allows me to save 30% or more on rehabs compared to retail contractors.
- Making money in under market value properties for real estate cash flow isn’t easy, but it is doable with proper planning and research. If you have any questions about investing in the best San Antonio investment property, please contact us.
When you are considering below market value property or out of state investment property, please try to avoid the above mistakes!