Investing in under market value properties in San Antonio, Texas has provided me with a fantastic, long term passive income. Before the real estate downturn of 2007-9, I was not a real estate agent, and I relied on several investor friendly agents to show me potential under market value distressed properties in San Antonio TX.
After the crash, many real estate agents got out of the real estate business . I discovered that finding a good, long term real estate agent was harder than before to buy below market value property.
It was in 2010 that I made a fateful decision: I became a real estate agent and investor myself, and it has been a great decision for me. It has made it easier for me to buy under market value properties in San Antonio TX.
Being a licensed Texas real estate agent can help you to build property cash flow over time. Currently I own more than 50 owner financed investment properties in San Antonio TX. On most, I am making at least 10% return, which means I have cash flow of $500 to $800 per property. Most of them I own in cash.
Whenever I buy another distressed real estate property for buy and hold, I am able to save at least $1000 on real estate commissions. If I buy 40 houses a year, that’s more than $40,000! What a deal!
If you are buying more than 1-2 below market value properties per year, I think it is a good idea to go ahead and get your real estate license. If you do absolutely nothing else with it, your real estate license will save you majorly on commissions.
On many of my deals, I as the real estate investor agent buy the under market value property, fix it, and then resell it with owner financing. I am able to save TWO real estate commissions on these deals, which in some cases saves me $5000 or more!
Advantages of Being a Texas Real Estate Investor and Real Estate Agent
- A real estate investor agent can save on real estate commissions for below market value properties, as I illustrated above.
- You have access to your area’s MLS and can do your own due diligence on potential investment properties. Having MLS access saves you time, and allows you to get offers in before other investors.
- As a real estate agent investor, you will be able to network with other agents, who certainly know people who want to invest, or may be investors themselves. I often buy unlisted properties because of my contacts with other agents in San Antonio TX.
- You can do your own BPOs or Broker Price Opinions. This is a 1-3 page report that a licensed real estate agent can do, for a payment of $50-100. This is a great way to earn extra cash flow as you are getting started in real estate investing.
- You also can sell retail properties to supplement your income, which has really come in handy for me several times each year as a real estate agent investor. Nothing like earning another $20,000 per year!
Clearly, the advantages of being a real estate agent investor are many for getting texas cash flow. I believe becoming an agent is really worth it if you buy several under market value investment properties annually. I also have found that being a real estate agent investor makes it easier to work with investors looking for a good out of state investment property.